WWII POW Chapel in The Rocks
Located off of Sheridan Road in Campo California, is an oak shaded outcrop of rock. There is located within the outcrop a chapel from the World War 2 era period of Camp Lockett. During this period German and Italian prisoners of war were held at the camp.
The Italian POW's carved out a shrine with a statue of The Virgin Mary within. On both sides of the shrine are raise platforms of for worship.
The original statue was removed due to vandalism, it was restored and place on display at The Stone Store in Campo, a replica now sits in its place
The location is located on the opposite side of a white fence, the gate is opposite the Cafe B 1247 Sheridan Rd, Campo, CA 91906. There is plenty of parking on the road, please dont park in the lot unless you intend to patronize the cafe.
There is a museum dedicated to Camp Lockett at the nearby Gaskill Brothers Stone Store Museum,Address: 31130 CA-94, Campo, CA 91906
Phone:(619) 478-5707 it is located on The Second Floor.